Friday, September 2, 2011

August Book Update

Hi all! I don't have my workout log with me right now, so I can only do a book update. I figure it's better than nothing, because I might forget to do both if I wait. I managed to get through five books this month! I'm impressed, considering how busy and tired I've been. Go me. What did I read? (Thank goodness for Goodreads and Shelfari, or I would never remember any of this!)

A very interesting book, if a little difficult for me to get through. I thought it was well written, but a little too defensive, I guess. Maybe it's just because the author isn't technically an historian, or because he wanted to reach a wider audience, so he felt the need to write in a way that was just a little too... something for my taste. I can't exactly put my finger on it, but it kind of got on my nerves. Other than that I really enjoyed it and I learned quite a bit.

Honestly, I'm not sure I liked this book very much, but I can't really put my finger on why. The story was OK, I guess, but I had a really hard time getting into it and considered stopping through basically the entire book. I made it to the end, and I was glad when it was over. That's all I have to say about that.

This is the first book in a series, as I'm sure you can tell. I've said it before: I love a good series. I have read this book before, but it had been awhile so I reread it and I enjoyed it. I like the plot and the characters, though every now and then there are things that just make me roll my eyes. Overall, though, a good read for me.

I hadn't read this one before. I enjoyed it so much that I went out and bought the fourth book in the series (in hardback, gasp!), which I am currently reading, before I even got to the third book. Unlike Twilight, I actually like the heroine of these books because she doesn't seem as weak or stupid as Bella Swan. She's very headstrong and stubborn, and quite rash, though, which definitely gets her into trouble and irritates me sometimes, but overall not a terrible character.

Ah book 3! Finally wrapped up some threads that were beginning to irritate me. Things that I saw coming from the first book that I felt were being dragged out in a somewhat contrived manner (won't spoil what here, in case someone wants to read the books), though I've seen similar things done in much more annoying ways in other books and TV shows and movies, so whatever. But I did feel relieved and had to set the book down and say, "Finally!" when certain things were revealed. Phew. It felt like it took forever, but it really wasn't that bad. And I immediately began the fourth book when I finished this one, so obviously I enjoyed it. :D

So that brings my new total to 34 of 40. Almost there! I'll try to get my mileage update done soon, when I remember to have my log with me. Ta for now. xoxo


3 comments:

  1. I wish I had time to read!! Wah! I've been reading a book called Founding Brothers but I've not even finished the second (third?) chapter. I've been reading it for two months now I think. I've just got way too much to do I suppose. Bummer. But good for you reading so many! I'll just live vicariously... ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so putting 1421 on my list of books to read! Love the cover! (I'm totally a judge the book by the title and cover type of person!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh Jen! I wish you had time to read too. Someday, you will again. Until then you get to enjoy your boys. I will do my best to read as much as I can for you to enjoy vicariously! I take my responsibility very seriously. :)

    Katie, I totally judge books by their covers. Sometimes I get books home before I've even read the back to find out what they are about. It's usually a pleasant surprise, though it doesn't always work out so well.

    ReplyDelete

Daisypath Happy Birthday tickers

Christmas tickers

Daisypath Christmas tickers