Thursday, December 1, 2011

November Books

I know my goal has already been completed, but that doesn't mean I've stopped reading. You may have noticed that I've added a currently reading section to the left, so you can always see what I'm reading at any given time. Here is what I read in November.

This is another book in a series that I started a long time ago and I've decided I no longer want. I started reading this I don't know how long ago, and just wanted to finish it and then get rid of the three books I have. Another young adult book in a supernatural series. It's OK and I do tend to get hooked again when I read them. However, I find most of the characters irritating (which may be the writing or just a sign that I'm maturing - it's a toss up). I understand the popularity of the books, but I also don't really care if I ever read the next book(s).

My mom gave me this book either for Christmas or my birthday or something because I love Jane Austen and I love vampire stories. So she thought I would get a kick out of this. It is a fun premise. The book itself wasn't bad, actually. I found it to be an easy read and enjoyable. Several things were just plain silly; it's clearly not meant to be a serious, dramatic vampire novel. That's obvious from the cover. Do I feel the need to keep it a read it again sometime? Nope. I have other such things for that (like all of Austen's books). But I did enjoy reading it and I can sell it to the bookstore so someone else can also enjoy it.

OK, this is another one that I listened to instead of actually reading the book. I'm getting more and more into this whole audiobook thing. I never used to like them, but I started listening to certain things, like Sarah Vowell (who I find extremely enjoyable as audio) and The Daily Show (also a lot of fun). I stuck to the nonfiction for a long time because I didn't want to interfere with the voice I have in my head when I read novels. Usually the audiobook voices didn't match my inner voice so I didn't enjoy them. This was my first try with fiction; why not when it only cost $3? I actually really got into this. There were two different narrators: the mother and the daughter, read by two different actresses. I thought it really worked. And I enjoyed the story. It's difficult to talk about writing style and whatnot after listening to a book, because I feel like I noticed the "acting" much more than the writing. However, this had Jennifer Weiner's usual humor that I enjoy so much. And it made me cry because of something that happens that I won't spoil. Anyway, I liked it, but I've liked all of her books, so that's not much of a surprise.

I am really thrown off by this cover because it is quite different from the one my book has. But whatever. I was surprised by how I was sucked into this. I found the premise intriguing. It is about changelings and is told from two different perspectives: the changeling that takes over the life of a young boy, and the young boy who then becomes a changeling. I really liked the style and the switching narratives. I can't really explain it but I was thoroughly engrossed. I read a lot of this book on my way to and from my car before and after work and I would look up and find myself at my destination without really remembering the walk. That doesn't happen very often because obviously you need to look up to avoid running into things. How I managed not to run into anything (or anyone, for that matter) is beyond me. I would read other books by this author in a heartbeat. Excuse me a second while I go look him up on Amazon... OK I'm back. On to the last one.

This one took me a while to read. I started it but then had to put it down and read something lighter (that's where Jane Bites Back came in). Then I picked it back up last weekend and couldn't put it down. I finished it in two days, which is quite the accomplishment for a Joyce Carol Oates book. I love her writing, but it is dense and heavy and extremely emotional. This is about dealing with the sudden death of a mother, and I found the entire thing very well done. Very true to the emotional upheaval and different ways people react to loss and deal with grief. Now that I've finished it I think I need something light again to balance it out though.

So that's it for the books. How many is that? 5 for November, which brings the total to 49! Woo!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Daisypath Happy Birthday tickers

Christmas tickers

Daisypath Christmas tickers