Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Gratitude

Y'all, I have this whole other post that I mostly wrote yesterday that I was planning to put up today. But then, this happened. And it leaves me feeling very humbled and grateful for the many blessings in my life. This whole blog thing is so strange to me. I basically feel like I'm rambling into my journal, only it's online and every now and then other people see it. For the most part, I don't see or feel the involvement of others in this because this isn't one of those blogs that has a bazillion followers (which I'm totally fine with, btw - just pointing it out). So I guess it throws me a little that someone can read what I'm putting on here and actually get something out of it. And I don't mean to denigrate myself in any way by saying that; it's just this entire internet thing sometimes feels completely surreal, you know? The sense of familiarity and intimacy with people I've never met because I read what they write every day (or however often they blog, because goodness knows I do not update every day, or sometimes even every week or month). All of that is just to say that I am very thankful not only that someone would mark my blog as one of her favorites, but also say such nice things about me and what I write.

Now, I do actually know the lovely blogger of butter, sugar, flowers (a wonderful blog for baking and for insights) in person. I am lucky enough to have her as a coworker and very good friend. She is an incredibly talented baker and one of the nicest and most thoughtful people I've ever known, as well as an oft-needed encouraging presence in my life. Which actually makes this all the more touching. In some ways it often feels easier for me to grow attached to someone's writing without knowing them, because I don't have to personally witness or experience their flaws and eccentricities, and I feel like that might be true for other people as well. One might think good things of me from what I post that could become a bit tarnished by knowing me in person. Maybe that's just my skewed perspective of myself and/or the world. Or maybe that's something others experience as well. I honestly don't know.

I would like to try to pass on this award to others, but I will need to gather my thoughts first. Right now I just want to bask in this glow. You might think this award is rather insignificant, and by itself it probably is, but never underestimate the value of hearing that who you are and what you think and say are worth something. So thanks. xoxo

P.S. If someone has made you feel that you are not of value, you have my full permission to punch that person in the face.

P.P.S. Imagining it is probably better than actually doing it. Violence is usually not the answer. But an imaginary punch can be very freeing. :D

4 comments:

  1. Congratulations! That's exciting! And I agree with her. I love to read your blog! I feel the same way about the internet and blogs. I always wonder if I would like that person if I actually knew them and saw up close their flaws and eccentricities. But I know you in person. And I can say that your blog is a good reflection of what I know you to be and that I've been glad to know you and read your blog and I do get stuff out of it. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations! I didn't know you had a blog, so you just made my day! I am going to follow you now so I can keep up with all your writing and adventures! Congrats again!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Big congratulations to you! I completely agree with the person who gave the award to you: you're a fresh and inspiring voice on the internet. Take everything to heart!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you all for your congrats and sweet comments. It means more than I can say! I feel very loved and content right now. xoxo

    ReplyDelete

Daisypath Happy Birthday tickers

Christmas tickers

Daisypath Christmas tickers